How Clean Should You Leave a House after a Move? Here are 6 Tips!
You’ve finally packed everything up and are just about ready to move out… but have you considered the time it will take cleaning the house for the new owners?
Some states mandate that the cleaning requirements be laid out in the purchase contract—but in others, they’re far more ambiguous, To stay on the safe side, it’s best to leave your soon-to-be former home in the same condition it was when the buyers made their offer.
While many opt to just hire a cleaning service, others may find that saving money is the smarter, more budget-friendly thing to do, especially during a move. Here are some basic tips for cleaning the house when moving out:
- Remove all of your trash, as well as personal property you don’t want it anymore. A garage sale or a quick trip to the local thrift shop is a great way to get rid of unwanted items.
- Vacuum carpet and floors and give hard surfaces a quick once-over with a mop. Dust and wipe down cabinets, blinds, countertops and shelves with a moist cloth.
- Leave kitchen appliances, including the refrigerator, oven and microwave, looking clean and remove any dangerous chemicals from kitchen cabinets.
- Scour sinks and tubs.
- In the garage, get rid of all hazardous chemicals and sweep the floor.
- If there are any items that the new homeowners will find helpful (like warranty information, operation manuals, or extra paint, flooring and roofing) leave it in a place where they can easily find it.
Basically, follow the golden rule and leave your home in the condition that you’d expect if you were the one moving in. If you don’t want to take on the task alone, consider asking family and friends to pitch in!
For other helpful moving tips, turn to North American Van Lines. We have over 80 years of experience and knowledgeable movers to assist you with all of your needs related to your move, including packing, loading and transporting your belongings, whether you’re headed down the street or overseas. The movers at northAmerican understand how to serve clients with very different needs and we take pride in serving you and making your move as smooth as possible.