Cross-Country Movers With Experience
As an industry-leading cross-country moving company, North American Van Lines is committed to making your relocation a success. From transportation to storage, we have a customized solution that meets your every need. Whether you’re moving from San Diego to Manhattan or from Ontario, Canada, to Orlando, Florida, we have moving agents in your area to help you every step of the way. Regardless of how simple or complex your relocation might be, our resources and services will get you and your belongings safely from coast to coast.
Request a free moving estimate above.
Provide contact information and your ideal move date so a moving specialist can reach out to you.
Upon accounting for any special items, we provide recommendations that make budgeting your move more cost effective.
Moving Cost Revealed
Finally, we provide your total moving cost which will be more accurate than any online quoting.
Cross-Country Moving Service
North American Van Lines offers expert cross-country moving services, ensuring a seamless and stress-free relocation experience. With over 90 years of expertise, they specialize in personalized moving solutions, catering to all your needs from coast to coast. They provide a comprehensive range of services, including professional packing, secure transportation, and storage options. Choose North American for reliable, efficient cross-country moving services.
Resources You Can Rely On
Educating yourself about the cross-country moving process in advance will allow you to enjoy a less stressful relocation. North American Van Lines provides an array of free moving resources to customers who are moving across the country. Browse our website for packing guides and calculators, shipment trackers, online moving videos and much more. As one of the premier cross-country moving companies, we want to ensure you feel comfortable with the moving process for a smooth, seamless relocation from start to finish.
Experience You Need
When moving cross-country, you can benefit from North American Van Lines’ 90+ years of experience and unparalleled knowledge. Our expertise in performing relocations throughout the country provides us with an incredible advantage in executing worry-free, seamless relocations. Our cross-country movers undergo extensive training before ever handling your interstate move, furthering our commitment to total quality. Our incredible customer service and outstanding performance ratings speak for themselves. You’ll experience an exceptional relocation, every time. It's the North American way. Request a free, no-obligation quote for our cross-country moving services today!
How Moving Cross-Country with North American Van Lines Works
When you're relocating to a new home across the country, moving all your belongings can be a daunting task. Fortunately, our professional cross-country movers can assist you with this process. northAmerican’s across-country movers will come to your current home and carefully load your possessions onto our large trucks. We’ll transport them safely to your destination or our secure storage facilities, whichever you prefer.
If you're looking for additional support during the move, we offer packing and unpacking services as well. For an extra fee, we will not only transport your items but also assist you in packing everything up securely and unpacking it once you arrive at your new home. This can take a lot of stress off your shoulders and give you more time to focus on other aspects of the move.
With our expertise and equipment at your disposal, you can rest assured that your belongings will arrive safely and efficiently at your new home.
10 Steps to a Successful Cross-Country Move
Preparing for moving cross-country takes much more than deciding whether you’ll pack your belongings yourself or have the moving company do it. The most successful, least stressful moves result from careful planning.
Follow these steps to get started:
- Declutter. Everything you move will cost money, so about 6–8 weeks before the big day, go through items like clothing, books and other items to decide if some can be sold or donated. Furniture you don’t want can be listed on a neighborhood app or marketplace, with the added bonus that someone may pay you for something you don’t need and haul it away in the bargain. The cash you make can even help defray your moving costs.
- Itemize and organize. Take stock of what you can go ahead and pack for your cross-country move, such as books, small kitchen appliances you won’t need, knickknacks and other items. Label every box clearly with the room and the contents. Take photos of valuable items and procure any additional boxes and packing materials you’ll need.
- Prepare for your new home. About 4 weeks before your move date, start making arrangements to have the utilities and cable turned off at your old home and on at the new one. If you’ve been renting your current home, clean it as you pack so you have the best chance of getting your full deposit back.
- Close, cancel and transfer. About 2 weeks before moving day, fill out a change of address form at the post office or online. Have your car serviced if you plan to drive it across the country. Cancel your local memberships (gym, golf, etc.).
- Keep your valuables and necessary items close. As safe and conscientious as our movers and drivers are, it’s still a good practice to carry valuables such as jewelry, fragile items and small antiques with you. Of course, you should also bring suitcases packed with whatever you and your family will need while traveling.
- Budget and prepare for unexpected expenses. You never know what might happen when moving. Car troubles, weather delays and surprise repairs to your new or old home are all too common. An emergency budget will give you peace of mind and help you prepare for the unexpected during your cross-country moving experience. Keep in mind that northAmerican will never charge more than the price you agreed to, so that’s one less thing to stress about!
- Look into cross-country moving services. Interstate moves can quickly become complex undertakings. However, with a full-service cross-country moving company by your side, you’ll be prepared to approach every aspect of your relocation with the utmost confidence.
The cross-country movers at North American Van Lines are the best in the business. We’ve helped thousands of individuals and families manage the ins and outs of long-distance moving with ease. No matter what you need, we're here to lend an extra hand.
- Consider your moving costs. While DIY moving can save money, it will certainly cost time and peace of mind. Many people are surprised by how much work it takes to safely pack, ship and unload everything they own while also managing the logistics of transitioning to a new home. While some cross-country moving companies may charge exorbitant fees, northAmerican offers custom moving packages to ensure you only pay for the services you need.
- Look into auto transport and car shipping services. Driving yourself on a cross-country move will put thousands of miles on your odometer. Auto transport services make it easy to move your car from point A to point B without planning a big road trip with kids, family or pets. Plus, they’re more affordable than selling and buying a new car in a new state!
- Create a checklist. Maintaining a moving checklist will help you stay organized throughout the process. Your checklist should include not only your personal belongings, but other tasks like transferring subscriptions, clearing out
your storage unit, transferring utilities and notifying your children’s school about your upcoming cross-country move.
Clearly, a cross-country move is no simple task. To ensure you’re prepared for the big day, check out our Moving Resources page for a moving checklist, how-to’s and other tips to make any move easier. Contact North American Van Lines today for more information about our cross-country moving services and to receive a free estimate. Our professional cross-country movers are here to help.
How to Prepare for a Cross Country Move
Planning for a cross-country move can be a time-consuming task, but the more preparation you put in, the more smoothly your transition will go. Start prepping early to spare yourself the stress of rushing as the moving date approaches.
Start with a Budget
Cross-country moves can get pricey. You'll need to consider the cost of moving supplies and travel expenses. Compare quotes from cross-country movers to find an acceptable price range. Once you’ve set a budget, you can start selecting affordable services that align with your needs.
Declutter and Pack
A simple way to make moving cross-country easier is to eliminate items you no longer need or use. Before you start packing, consider donating, selling or throwing away items you no longer need. This will help you save on moving supplies and keep yourself organized.
Gather Important Documents
Passports, social security cards and other important documents should never be packed into a moving truck. Instead, gather these documents in a safe container (a firebox is a good option) and keep them in your possession throughout the cross-country move.
Plan for the Road Trip
If driving to your destination, plan out the road trip in advance. Research and book accommodations along your route before moving day. Of course, if you’d rather avoid the hassle and expense of a long road trip, auto shipping remains one of the most popular cross-country moving services. These services can help you save money on gas and avoid putting unnecessary miles on your car.
Switch Your Utilities and Change Your Address
Notify your services and utilities a few weeks before your cross-country move to avoid gaps in service when you arrive at your new home. You'll also want to change your address and get your mail forwarded.
Why Choose northAmerican for a Cross-Country Move?
There's a ton to consider when moving across the country, from switching utilities and calling your kids’ schools to changing your address. As one of the leading cross-country moving companies in North America, we proudly offer affordable, comprehensive logistics services for relocations of every size and distance.
For over 90 years, North American Van Lines has helped individuals, families and businesses move from coast to coast. Our professional cross-country movers are trained and experienced in every aspect of moving. When you partner with northAmerican, you’ll enjoy peace of mind throughout the moving process. All you need to do is sit back, relax and get excited about your new home.
Contact us today for a free estimate.
Cross-Country Moving FAQs
What is the cost of moving cross-country?
The price of your cross-country move will largely depend on the volume of belongings you need moved and the number of services you choose. We offer everything from full-service packing to fragile-only packing; we even sell quality packing materials so you can do the packing yourself. We also offer storage, vehicle shipping and specialty moving services (such as piano moving). As a leading national moving company, we can offer many more affordable cross-country moving services than our competitors, allowing you to tailor your move to your needs and budget. For an exact price on your cross-country move, get a quote today!
How long does a cross-country move take?
The transit time for your move will vary depending on how far your old home is from your new one, but generally, a cross-country move takes 2–5 business days once the moving van is loaded.
Can you provide moving services anywhere in the country?
Absolutely! As one of the largest cross-country moving companies, North American Van Lines has agents throughout the U.S. and Canada. And, to extend our reach, we work with trusted third parties when necessary. We want you to stress less about the move and focus on making the transition easier for yourself and your family.
Why should I hire a cross country moving company?
Moving anything by yourself can be very challenging, and moving across the country even more so. At the very least, you’ll probably need someone to help you load your belongings onto trucks and unload them at your destination. A professional moving company can provide a seamless experience, including packing services and storage options, and even help you get settled without stress.
What is the cheapest way to move cross-country?
The cheapest way to move across the country will always be DIY. Still, it's an intimidating task that can often be more expensive than hiring a mover once you factor in packing, driving, unpacking, decluttering, etc. We offer a convenient Quote on Demand form that allows you to estimate your costs of moving across the country with North American Van Lines.
Best Way to Move Across Country
Read our definitive guide on 'The Best Way to Move Cross Country', offering practical packing tips, hiring professional movers, shipping items in advance, and efficient unpacking strategies. This comprehensive resource simplifies the complex process of cross-country relocation, ensuring a stress-free, organized move.
Be Prepared for Major Interstates for Cross Country Moves
North American Van Lines' 'Cross Country Moves' guide details major interstates essential for long-distance moves. This resource offers insights into the best routes, key attractions, and practical tips for a smooth journey across the U.S., making it an invaluable tool for anyone planning a cross-country relocation.
How to Move Across Country
This extensive guide on 'How to Move Across the Country,' offers practical advice for every stage of a cross-country move. The guide includes tips for preparation, packing, selecting a moving company, and settling into your new home, ensuring a well-organized and stress-free relocation experience.
North American Van Lines Migration Map
North American Van Lines' 2023 U.S. Moving Migration Patterns Report provides valuable insights into the latest trends in American relocations. This detailed report highlights the top inbound and outbound states, influenced by factors like cost of living, remote work, and quality of life. The interactive migration map offers a visual representation of these trends, helping users understand the shifting dynamics of population movement across the country.
What Others Are Saying
500+ agent locations
North American Van Lines has been a leader in the moving industry since 1933. With over 500 agent locations nationwide, we have movers wherever “home” is for you. We specialize in corporate relocation, long distance and local household moving.
Our experienced agents will assist you with all your needs; including packing, loading, and transporting your belongings, whether you’re headed down the street or overseas. We understand that you have more to worry about than the physical move. If our more than 90 years of reputation doesn’t entice you, read some of our testimonials and request a quote.
Additional Moving Services
Our personalized approach to moving reflects the person behind each move.LEARN MORE
Our international moving services are tailored for each movers individual needs.LEARN MORE
A company relocation program that is catered to employees and their families.LEARN MORE
Our professional movers will handle your belongings with care no matter the distance.LEARN MORE