Long Distance Moving Companies
If you are planning a long distance move, selecting a reliable, moving company is vital to a stress-free experience. You want a company with professional crews who can do packing, loading, transporting and unloading of your goods in a timely manner. Most of all, you want to make sure that your belongings are secure and safe.
North American Van Lines has been a leader in the moving industry for more than 85 years. As a full-service, interstate moving company, we are registered with the Department of Transportation and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and are authorized to transport goods within states, between states and to Canada.
Request a free moving estimate or Instaquote above.
Provide contact information and your ideal move date so a moving specialist can reach out to you.
Upon accounting for any special items, we provide recommendations that make budgeting your move more cost effective.
Moving Cost Revealed
Finally, we provide your total moving cost which will be more accurate than any online quoting.
- Ask the company if they do in-home estimates. An estimate made over the phone cannot adequately evaluate the needs of the move. North American Van Lines comes to your home and provides a free estimate for the cost of the move. In addition, our moving quotes and pricing are calculated by the weight of the goods being transported instead of by volume of a moving container. Weight is more accurate and reliable.
- Be sure that the company has the proper registrations for moving long distance. Unlike local movers, the company must have DOT and FMCSA authorization to transport goods across state lines. The company must be licensed, bonded and insured to protect you, your home, your belongings and the workers on the job. North American Van Lines keeps all required federal, state and local registrations, permits and licenses current. We provide you with information required by law that states your rights and responsibilities for interstate moves. Our crews are in uniform as they work, and our trucks display our company name.
- This prevents an unethical company from adding charges or altering terms. With North American Van Lines, the price quoted during the in-home assessment is the price you pay. There are no additional charges or hidden fees.
- Ask for references. Be sure to call them. Check with the local Better Business Bureau to see how the company is rated. The BBB publishes customer complaints, reviews and dispute resolutions. North American Van Lines is in good standing with local BBBs throughout the U.S.
- To further assist with your selection process, we have provided a downloadable moving checklist.
North American Van Lines provides more than just packing and moving services. You will be assigned a personal consultant who will help you during each step of the moving process. The consultant will give you moving tips on how to save money as you pack and shift to your new location. If you would like to pack some or all of your belongings yourself, we have moving supplies for sale. Speak with the consultant who is coordinating your move to estimate number and kinds of boxes, packing material and accessories you will need.
We provide free stretch-wrapping that protects upholstered furniture. We offer custom crating to make sure specialty items such as artwork, antiques or other valuables are securely packed. We can pack and transport your piano as part of your household belongings. Our fragile-only services make sure fragile items are properly and safely packed.
The professional crews of North American Van Lines come to your home on moving day in branded trucks. During the move, our online shipment tracking service lets you know where your goods are. When we arrive at your new home, we unload and unpack all of your goods. As part of the unpacking service, we remove all debris and materials after we finish. If you do not want all of your goods brought at the same time, we have short-term and long-term storage facilities that are climate controlled. These secure facilities are approved by the U.S. military.
As you plan your cross country move, you can relax, knowing that our crews are thoroughly trained and go through background checks before they are assigned to a job. With all the details of a move to relocation that you must tend yourself, you can rest assured that the staff of North American Van Lines has the moving experience that will reduce your stresses of packing, transporting and unloading your belongings.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is considered long distance for a moving company?
A long-distance move falls under federal regulation for transporting items from state to state. A general rule of thumb for most full-service moving companies is that if a move is over 400 miles, it is considered long-distance.
What is the average cost of a long-distance move?
The average cost of a long distance move is $3,500. This is based on an average weight of 7,000 lbs. (7 rooms) and a traveling distance of 1,000 miles. The price of your move will largely depend on the number of belongings you need to be moved, and the distance you are going. To get a more accurate cost, fill out our Quote on Demand above.
What is the cheapest way to do a long distance move?
Doing it yourself is often the cheapest option when moving long distances. You won't pay any fees to professional movers, and you'll save money on fuel costs. However, if you plan to do all your own packing, loading, unloading, unpacking, and cleaning services, you may end up spending more time and effort than hiring professionals, and without the insurance coverage, a mover brings with them. This is why we always recommend hiring professionals for a long distance move.
What Others Are Saying
500+ agent locations
North American Van Lines has been a leader in the moving industry since 1933. With over 500 agent locations nationwide, we have movers wherever “home” is for you. We specialize in corporate relocation, long distance and local household moving.
Our experienced agents will assist you with all your needs; including packing, loading, and transporting your belongings, whether you’re headed down the street or overseas. We understand that you have more to worry about than the physical move. If our more than 80 years of reputation doesn’t entice you, read some of our testimonials and request a quote.
Additional Moving Services
Our personalized approach to moving reflects the person behind each move.LEARN MORE
Our international moving services are tailored for each movers individual needs.LEARN MORE
A company relocation program that is catered to employees and their families.LEARN MORE
Our professional movers will handle your belongings with care no matter the distance.LEARN MORE