Contact our moving experts now and get started.
Best Times to Move Employees in 2021
Learn how to avoid the busiest times of the year
You likely know that a well-planned household goods move usually produces a better moving experience, but did you know that the timing of the move can play a pivotal role, too? The fact is that there are certain times of the year that are overwhelmingly more popular for moving than others. By keeping in mind which days are most in-demand, you will be able to schedule your moves on days that have more availability of trucking capacity, moving providers, and other moving-relating services.
In an effort to support you in your planning efforts, northAmerican Van Lines ® has released its Best Times to Move Calendar for 2021 that contains tips, helpful reminders, and color-coded days that classify dates as ideal, busy, and busiest. Regardless of how your employees are moving, whether via a lump sum or a full-service corporate relocation program, scheduling moves for less impacted dates can make a move go more smoothly.
Importantly, moves occurring during peak times of the year can result in longer wait times for other important services that the relocating employee will likely require throughout the moving process. Scheduling appointments for internet service, cable, electricity, and gas for their new residence may prove challenging if the respective service providers are experiencing an influx of requests for installation or activation. For those employees who are purchasing and/or selling a home during high-demand times, inspections, appraisals, and the escrow process may also be impacted, potentially pushing out their close date(s). Importantly, this can be a layered issue as well when one factors in the current migration patterns, with delays likely being more commonplace in cities or states that have recently grown in popularity.
In addition to inconvenient delays for services, relocating employees, specifically those using a lump sum or reimbursement for their move, will likely encounter higher prices for their household goods move during these busier times. As demand for the already limited trucking capacity fluctuates throughout the year, so do the prices. The U.S. truck driver shortage, while not new, is still very much a reality. Fewer drivers for trucks equates to diminished available capacity calendar-wide. Remember that relocating employees who are given a lump sum purchase moving services just as any other consumer in the marketplace does. As a result, when the current capacity conditions are coupled with higher demand, many find that they are either unable to secure moving services for their intended move date or are forced to pay significantly higher prices for their move.
Key Takeaways from northAmerican’s 2021 Corporate Moving Calendar
Important Tips and Reminders:
- If employees are relocating in the summer, be sure their move is scheduled as far in advance as possible.
- Fall is a great time to review existing relocation policies and make changes.
- Employees should plan on personally moving valuables and important documents.
- The employee or a family member must be present during pack, load, and delivery.
- Employees should advise movers of any and all special circumstances that may impact the move.
- Be sure employees alert movers to narrow roadways and long driveways.
- If the employee lives in a gated community, they should inform the driver of any possible restrictions on trucks, parking, and passage in place that may impact the driver gaining access to their home.
- Sidewalks and driveways should be clear of snow and ice on moving day. To learn more about moving in winter, read our Guide to Winter Moves.
- Employees can lower their moving costs by donating and selling any unwanted items.
- Encourage employees to familiarize themselves with items that are not safe or permissible to move. Find out more about what those items are by reading our A Guide For What Can’t be Moved .
- Relocating employees to Florida, Texas, North Carolina, Tennessee, or South Carolina? We have guides for that! Visit our guides page to download our state-specific guides and share them with your relocating employees.
- For employees moving with pets, be sure to share our helpful guide on moving pets safely.
- For a stress-free move, offer employees a full-service moving benefit.
Download this guide which includes a calendar of the best dates to move in 2021
To learn more about how our corporate relocation programs can help your company weather uncertainty, control costs, and improve employee satisfaction email Bobbi Maniglia at Bobbi.Maniglia@northamerican.com.
Keep up to date on the latest news, industry trends and research regarding domestic and global employee moving and relocation, and commercial moving.
Or Call 800-213-4910 to start your free quote!CONTACT US NOW!